3 Digital Trends You’ll Want to Know in 2016
It’s hard to believe 2016 is here. This year will bring new digital trends that will disrupt and excite the marketing and advertising landscapes for months to come. Prepare yourself for these trends to stay ahead of the game and even more importantly, ahead of the competition.
1- Content Will Remain In Charge
Creating and sharing meaningful content through digital channels should remain a priority for companies and organizations. Content marketing is a form of inbound marketing that aims to bring customers and consumers to your company based upon the useful content you have to offer them. Not only should you be sharing this content but should be promoting it to reach new audiences outside of your followers. Sharing original content along with repurposing useful content from other organizations will lead to engagement and trust, which will help to develop your brand. In a recent survey, the Content Marketing Institute found that 86% of B2B organizations have a content marketing strategy. This digital trend is not new for 2016, but is one of increasing importance that will not be disappearing anytime soon.
Here are just a few ways to help get your Content Strategy on track:
- Create a daily content calendar each month and stick to it. Use this to plan out social media posts, blog posts, vlogs, newsletters, infographics and more.
- Track Engagement with your content to determine which type of content is resonating the most with your audience to help meet your goals.
- Keep a back log of content ideas in one place and add to it daily.
- Use eye catching images and videos to gain more visibility and engagement
- Use different types of content for each level of the purchase funnel
2- Strategizing Your Social Media
It’s safe to say that most organizations are using some kind of social and digital media strategy to promote and engage consumers with their brands. It’s important to note that social media strategy for brands no longer revolves around simply promoting your organization and what it has to offer. Social media strategy is also about addressing customer issues, building trust with customers and engaging them with your brand. A great social media strategy can make or break your brand. Forming a long-term strategy for your social media plan can help make sure your strategy adds to your brand and keeps customers thinking about your organization from their digital devices.
A couple of Social Media trends you’ll want to consider moving into this year include:
- Live Stream- Video was huge in 2015 but moving into 2016 Live Streaming will become more prominent with growing apps like Periscope and Meerkat. These will help brands engage with consumers in real time and are exploding in usage.
- Social Commerce- Social media is no longer just a place for conversions and media. Many platforms have incorporated ways for brands to allow customers to make purchases. Twitter and Pinterest both now offer buy buttons on ad units for a streamlined purchase process.
- Mobile- If you aren’t thinking about mobile above everything else, you’re missing out on a huge opportunity. Not only did mobile surpass desktop usage in 2015 but it also accounted for 76% of all of Facebook’s advertising revenue.
3- Virtual Reality is (Almost) Here
2016 is shaping up to be the breakout year for Virtual Reality as the devices will start to become more mainstream and available to consumers. According to IHS Technology, sales of virtual reality headsets will reach $1.1 billion by the end of 2016. Although the price points are still high, there are a number of devices hitting the market and video game players will be early adaptors. Some of these devices have specific applications like video games and others were created for general use such as social chatter while watching movies. Two of most expected virtual reality devices are Vuzix iWear Video Headphones and Oculus Rift, which are set to be released early this year.
While this is still a new market, 2016 will be a year of content experimentation for marketers. Virtual reality devices will create a whole new way to digitally advertise and will integrate social media and video channels. Facebook and Youtube are already jumping on board with their new 360video ad units. Brands like AT&T have already started experimenting with this units, placing its consumers in the driver’s seat of Ben Albino’s race car.
Immerse yourself in Ben Albano’s 360° racing experience, and hear how he uses the AT&T network. #StrongCan #ad Posted by AT&T on Wednesday, November 11, 2015
Expect to see more creative and interactivity in the coming months.
We want to know how you would use Virtual Reality for your Brand? Comments welcome below!